Saturday, May 29, 2010

Ctrl+C?

Song writing is an art. Some people are better at it than others. How does one decide if a song is better than another? Does the beauty lie in the ears of the beholder?

Anyway, I was listening to some John Butler Trio the other day because a friend mentioned him to me. Then I was listening to some Dave Matthews Band, one of my favorite groups because of their diverse technical playing (although I'm not really a big fan of his vocals). Love the mix of guitar/drums/bass/sax and their drummer, Carter Beauford, is insanely talented. Anyway, I came across two of their songs that sound very similar. 'Big Eyed Fish' by DCB and 'What You Want' by John Butler Trio. Yes, I know they're not exactly the same...





And yes, I know you can find thousands of similar sounding songs out there that use the same riffs...just look at most of the songs we sing in church - not exactly the most diverse assortment of music available out there. I wonder if it's purposely done to avoid the music becoming a distraction and taking away the focus from God? I often find myself turning to secular bands or artists for my everyday listening because of the paucity of music diversity in praise & worship music. Is this a bad thing? Shouldn't everything we do be aimed to give glory to God?

Hmm...

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

If my heart and flesh cry out to our living God (Pslam 84), shouldn't it be expressed in an unhindered, sincere, God-glorifying way? Perhaps we *are* lacking in this Psalm-like rawness in our music.

Or perhaps everyone is just running out of ideas Or they are doing it in a way that is "tasteful" to a most people. Oh how I love you I IV V. Glorify God or satisfy people? Create an environment "suitable" for corporate worship through songs or make a joyful noise?

Random thoughts :) more questions then thoughts though

8:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home