Thursday, January 21, 2010

Ain't Nobody Worryin'?

Seeing photos of all these kids in Haiti breaks my heart. The Joint Council on International Children's Services estimates that there will be over one million children who will have lost one parent or both as the death toll rises to about 200,000. What boggles my mind is that even in the midst of this disaster, there are criminals that are taking advantage of the situation to steal from people as police and peacekeepers are too busy with the relief effort. Twice, an orphanage called Maison des Enfants de Dieu (House of the Children of God) had armed bandits break in and then leave empty handed because there was nothing there for them to steal. When I reflect on my own life and the lives of those around me, it seems like many of us don't really care and there ain't nobody worryin' about what's happening to our "neighbours" in the Caribbean - people in dire need.



I don't know why God, in His goodness and sovereignty, would allow something like this to happen, but I know that He cares for mankind because He sent His son to die on a cross for our sake - probably the greatest demonstration of love we can know. It may not feel like it or seem like it at times but I can look at the truth of the gospel and confidently know that God is immutable, merciful, good and love. And I should care for those around me in need, not because they deserve it or I owe it to them, but because God loves them just as He loves me. And I know that in the midst of trials and tribulation, we must cling to the living hope that begins at the cross and resurrection of Jesus Christ - a hope that God will be a father to the fatherless and will make true His promises to love and care for us, trusting that we won't be consumed by these trials and suffering but instead, be strengthened in our faith and character.

"I believe like a child that suffering will be healed and made up for, that all the humiliating absurdity of human contradictions will vanish like a pitiful mirage, like the despicable fabrication of the impotent and infinitely small Euclidean mind of man, that in the world's finale, at the moment of eternal harmony, something so precious will come to pass that it will suffice for all hearts, for the comforting of all resentments, for the atonement of all the crimes of humanity, for all the blood that they've shed; that it will make it not only possible to forgive but to justify all that has happened." - Fyodor Dostoevsky

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home