Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Musical Trends

There has been a growing clutter of papers lying all over my bedroom floor. It's finally reach the point of ridiculousness and I decided to clean some of it up.

I had a lot of guitar tab/chord sheets lying around and so I decided to organize all of them alphabetically so that I can find the correct song and not waste paper by printing off new chord sheets. It's interesting to see some of the musical trends over the past 1.5 years (at least for song's I've had to learn). I used to like to keep track of what songs were sung in church each week to be aware of what the congregation is familiar with and what has been sung to death and shouldn't be repeated for a while. Based on my fleeting memory, I've organized them into what has been sung in church, what has been sung in YF (uni/young adult fellowship) and some randoms (personal favorites or from Hope Church). It's also interesting to see what kind of song writers/artists are popular as well.

Church Songs:

1 Corinthians 13 - Rob Smith
Worthy of All Praise - Rob Smith (we sing this one a lot...)
Because He Lives - William J. Gaither
Before the Throne of God Above - Charitie L. Bancroft; music by Vikki Cook (I really like the Shane + Shane cover ...they're vocally so talented)
Blessed Be Your Name - Matt Redman
Christ Alone - Bryson Smith and Philip Percival (not to be confused with 'In Christ Alone' as I found the hard way at 8:30am on a Sunday morning)
Forever - Jesse Reeves, Chris Tomlin (sung LOTS)
Grace Like Rain - Todd Agnew
Highest Place - Mark Peterson (it's lyrically very sound but it's one of the most awkward congregational songs to sing that I've ever come across)
How Deep the Father's Love For Us - Stuart Townend
How Great Is Our God - Chris Tomlin, Jesse Reeves, Ed Cash
Indescribable - Laura Story, Jesse Reeves (Chris Tomlin did NOT write this song...FYI)
Let Your Kingdom Come - Bob Kauflin (sung heaps but a great song - my favorite Sovereign Grace song)
Lord Reign in Me - Brenton Brown (sung to death...)
My Chains Are Gone (Amazing Grace) - Chris Tomlin
Psalm 103 - Mark Peterson (lyrics are of course sound since it's taken pretty much right from scripture but again, Peterson has awkward-ish melodies. Nothing against him 'cuz I know how hard it is to write a good song)
Refiner's Fire - Brian Doerksen
Teach Me Your Ways - Chris Griffiths
This is My Desire - Reuben Morgan
This Is Your House - Graham Kendrick
Voice of the Lord - Michael Morrow (Emu have a few I like)
We Are His People - Philip Percival (this one gets sung a LOT)
We Belong to the Day - Michael Morrow (sung a LOT)
Your Grace Is Enough - Matt Maher and Chris Tomlin (we sang this for an entire month and never sang it again...)

YF Songs:

Above All - Penny LeBlanc & Paul Baloche (we sung this once, I don't think anyone knew it)
Amazing Grace (Grace Flows Down) - David Bell, Louie Giglio and Rod Pageant
Before the Throne of God Above - Charitie L. Bancroft; music by Vikki Cook (I really like the Shane & Shane cover...they're vocally so talented)
Blessed Be Your Name - Matt Redman
Create In Me a Clean Heart - John Carter
Enough - Chris Tomlin (I don't think we've sang this on Sunday but I could be wrong)
Everyday - Joel Houston (I'm pretty sure we've only sang it once or twice max
Forever - Jesse Reeves, Chris Tomlin (sung very often)
From the Inside Out - Joel Houston (YF camp)
Grace Like Rain - Todd Agnew
Hosanna - Brooke Fraser (I don't actually think we've sang this...maybe once?)
How Can I Keep From Singing - Matt Redman, Chris Tomlin, Ed Cash (sang it twice. As with most Tomlin songs you have to transpose it 3-4 semitones lower)
How Great Thou Art - Carl Gustav Boberg; translated by Stuart K. Hine (we sang this once, I picked it because I liked a Paul Baloche cover)
I Could Sing of Your Love Forever - Martin Smith
I Offer My Life - Claire Cloninger, Don Moen
Indescribable - Laura Story, Jesse Reeves (Chris Tomlin did NOT write this song...FYI)
It Is Well With My Soul - Horatio Spafford (probably my most favoritest hymn...the story behind the song just absolutely blows me away)
Let Your Kingdom Come - Bob Kauflin (this was sung a LOT)
Lord Over All - Sonicflood
Lord Reign in Me - Brenton Brown (we sung this to DEATH)
Majesty (Here I Am) - Martin Smith (very little Delirious? in the mix)
One Way - Hillsong United (sung to death...)
Refiner's Fire - Brian Doerksen
This Is My Desire - Reuben Morgan
Unashamed - Jon Neufeld, Tim Neufeld, Doug McKelvey (go Starfield!)
Voice of the Lord - Michael Morrow (Emu music has a few that I like)
We Fall Down - Chris Tomlin
Who Am I - Casting Crowns (I don't think we've sung this much in YF. Used for RICE Rally and CiA teens fellowship once)
Worthy of All Praise - Rob Smith
You Are My All In All - Dennis Jernigan (another great story behind the writing of this song)
You Loved Me - Trevor Hodge

Random:

Friend of God - Michael Gungor (RICE Big Day Out)
Hear Our Praises - Reuben Morgan (one of my all time favorites)
He Is Exalted - Twila Paris (I really like this Shane & Shane version. I remember Sunny introduced to me to this awesome cover. Check it!)



King - Tree63 (dodgy theology? Was going to be a RICE song)
Leaving 99 - Audio Adrenaline (RICE Big Day Out song)
None But Jesus - Brooke Fraser (I'm a huge Brooke fan)
Nothing But the Blood - Peter King (used part of it for RICE Rally; there's actually a Matt Redman cover of the hymn that I like better...)
The Time Has Come - Joel Houston (I don't foresee this one being sung anytime soon)
Today Is The Day - Lincoln Brewster, Paul Baloche (RICE Big Day Out)
Wonderful God - Ned Davies (I don't recognize this one but it's Hillsong so probably pre-CCCB)
You Are Good - Israel Houghton

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Lams said...

GREAT list! i'm going to steal it!

6:41 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

alex sent me your list. good compilation, it's interesting to see the difference in musical choices between CCCB & BCAC =)

have i mentioned that i LOVE LOVE LOVE brooke fraser?? (just ask alex how much i love her music.) i was so excited when i saw another fan!

9:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

how on earth do u remember all this!? hahaha~ but yeah thanks for the list too!

7:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

how on earth do u remember all this!? hahaha~ but yeah thanks for the list too!

7:55 AM  
Blogger iggs said...

let your kingdom come ftw. I first heard this in Sydney at Qing's church - at that point,i knew that we had to get this happening in church/YF :) fantastic song

10:05 PM  
Blogger eleasa said...

whoa, what a compilation! thanks for pointing out old & new favourites. i've found ever since joining CCCB SLE, i've added a bunch of different songs to my repertoire of favourite worship songs, particularly from Sovereign Grace.

i really like that cover of He Is Exalted.

& really good to read about the story behind It Is Well With My Soul. the part afterwards about how he & his wife went to Jerusalem to start a Christian utopian colony is crazy too!

5:45 AM  
Blogger lauie said...

guess what matt?? i was looking up 'you loved me' by trevor hodge...and i got linked to your blog!! i thought it was cool =)

7:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home