Wednesday, April 01, 2009

Back to Wearing Ties

Tomorrow I'll be going to the West End to see my GP for the first time. I hope he's a nice guy who lets me do lots of things. Probably going to have to get used to wearing ties again. Mental health was great for dress code. None of the psychiatrists bothered with ties. I'm sure one excuse is that some homicidal, psychotic patient could choke you to death with a neck-tie. A better one would be that ties cramp the chill style of psychiatry (at least in the private hospital setting).

Thought I'd do a bit of evaluation on my goal setting...

1. Exercise
- I have gone a few times but not quite 3 per week...with my current workload I don't know what's realistically sustainable for the next couple months.

2. Leisure Reading
- I only read leisurely when I ate lunch or brekkie at home last week. I can eat really fast when I'm alone and nobody is there to comment on my table manners. Time is too precious to be wasted on chewing so I usually just inhale my food and get back to whatever needs to be done. In the 5 minute meal times, I managed to get through maybe the first 5 or 6 chapters of "Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal" by Christopher Moore. This guy has definitely done his research as there are countless biblical references throughout. It is amusing and I often wonder if I should be laughing or appalled. Some things just shouldn't be joked about and are done so inappropriately. Is this one of those? I'll have to finish to book before making any further judgments...

3. Studying
- finished my microbiology notes. Now I have to commit them to memory!! x_x
- finished going through BRS Physiology (but not until today so I technically didn't finish it during the break)
- have not reviewed my clinical skills. My GP is going to think I'm an idiot tomorrow which will be good for motivating me to do some revision. My stethoscope has literally been collecting dust in my room...

4. Clean Bathroom
- scrubbed the tub and my flatmate did the rest

5. Chat with Family Back Home
- check

6. Squeeze in a Jam Session
- this was accomplished but I wonder how purposeful it was. On one hand it was "just a jam session" where a bunch of us who enjoy music got together and made music. On the other hand, what was the purpose of it? Again, if it was just an opportunity for people to practice playing together and potentially learn a few new songs then yes, mission accomplished. But I sort of went in with the purpose of really just connecting with God through music and just being refreshed by lifting our voices and songs to Him. And to be honest, that didn't really happen for me - I didn't leave feeling very refreshed... I dunno, I think I got way to caught up with the little things like the sound (couldn't hear people sing or couldn't hear other instruments) or not playing totally together. I thought we could incorporate some prayer and sharing but with the lack of preparation, that wasn't done so well. Maybe it's just me...

7. Being more Thankful
- this has started to become very hard. After listing off all the obvious things it's tough not to just repeat myself. I'm now just thinking back to the previous day and trying to think of specifics from that day.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger billy said...

hey bro, yeah jam sesh was weird, wasn't enough time and a bit disjointed... but yeah. always good to praise God together. don't know if we'll always leave refreshed tho.

12:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home