Tuesday, December 30, 2008

SD and SDHC Cards

So this year marked the second time I accompanied some of my more tech-savvy buddies in the 5am lineups outside Future Shop and Best Buy to take advantage of the door crasher sales. There wasn't much that I was after and definitely nothing big ticket. The best part of the morning was probably sitting down at McD's for an Egg McMuffin and hashbrown while engaging in some good conversation with the guys. My parents were thinking about getting an all-in-one printer with wireless networking capabilities and possibly a Blu-ray player. They had some really cheap Brother printers but my dad had insisted on being a brand-name snob and told me to look for an HP. I learned that if I was after a decent Blu-ray player that could download updates, I might as well get a Playstation 3.

They had these 16GB SDHC cards for $18 so I grabbed one of those. Little did I know, SDHC cards are NOT the same as SD cards (I figured this out after my laptop and camera couldn't read it). They look exactly the same but I guess you need a special type of firmware to be able to read it and my stuff can't. How disappointing. I was looking forward to going from a 2GB card to 16GB. What's even more frustrating is that my dad has almost the exact same camera - a Canon Powershot SD750 compared to my SD630. His is about a year newer than mine and guess what? It can read the SDHC cards! Argh...

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home