Thursday, December 18, 2008

Let Your Glory Shine

I wanted to get my hands on Lincoln Brewster's latest album, Today Is The Day, so I thought I'd head down to the local Christian bookstore that's about 5 minutes away from my house and check it out. Unfortunately, I didn't know (or had forgotten) that Christian Publications went out of business in Calgary earlier in the year. I was very disappointed because now if I want music or a book I'll have to blindly order it online without the benefits of browsing through it first. I guess they just can't compete against the giants named Chapter/Indigo or Amazon when it comes to pricing and one-stop shopping for everything.

Anyway, I've been listening to tracks off the CD online and I just love this one song called "Let Your Glory Shine". At the beginning of the song, Lincoln erupts into this Van Halen-like intro and launches into a really great sounding song that would be great to use to end off a worship set. It's got a catchy riff with a nice bluesy-rock feel to it. Go to his MySpace page to listen to the full album version of the song or watch a live version of it below:



I enjoy reading the thoughts that Bob Kauflin of Sovereign Grace Ministries shares on his blog. I've learned a lot from him about the role of music in worshiping God and the important things to keep in mind when involved in the music ministry. One statement that he made with regards to being "lead worshipers" (and applies to everyone) is that our goal should be to magnify the worth of God and the redemptive work of Jesus Christ. That is the purpose of the music ministry in a nutshell.

When I attend a service on Sundays, one of the aspects of worship that I love is the music. Songs are a very powerful way for us to connect with God for many different reasons and shouldn't be reserved for just Sundays either. There's no reason why singing can't be a part of our own personal worship at home, in the car (great place to just belt it out), in the shower, or walking to work/school.

Have you ever found it easier to remember the lyrics to a song rather than simple prose in the absence of music? I know it's tough for me to memorize a whole passage of scripture. I was so encouraged when I found out that the Sunday morning adults bible study class was combining scripture memory with their study of the sermon on the mount. I joined them just as they were finishing the beatitudes in Matt 5 and they hope to have chapters 5-7 completely memorized by the end of it all! I'm surprised at how many songs I can sing along to on the radio or how many worship songs I know the lyrics to by heart. That's because combining words with music helps us to remember better. So one of the keys to singing is that it helps us remember God's word.

Bob also pointed out that singing should be a response to God's grace. We should be thankful and grateful for all that God has done for us. Especially this Christmas season, we celebrate and thank God for sending his son Jesus through the singing of various Christmas songs.

"Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be thankful. Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom, and as you sing psalms, hymns and spiritual songs with gratitude in your hearts to God. And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him." - Col 3:15-17 (NIV)

Finally, we sing to reflect God's glory. Paul tells the Ephesians to be filled with the Spirit. And how can they do that? By speaking to one another with psalms, hymn and spiritual songs. He encourages them to sing and make music in their hearts to the Lord, to always give thanks, and always in the name of Jesus Christ.

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger billy said...

I BOUGHT THE CD FROM KOORONG... man he is completely NUTS ... i think first time i listened to it i was driving around with my mouth open like this >> :O

Hope ur doing good man. we had Christmas Social last night and the YFers did a "dance" while the music team played a song called "Gloria - All God's Children" by Paul Colman... pretty funny but its good cuz the old people got into it as well.

Come back soon! Christian Surfers coming on Jan 10 :D

2:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home