Thursday, December 11, 2008

Free Fallin'

Coming back home has been both rewarding and challenging. I am so thankful for the many people back in Calgary that make home what it is. I've realized that home isn't necessarily about the where but it's about the who - and this past year I was really blessed to have people in my life that made home both in Australia and back here in Canada.

These past three weeks have been hard emotionally and in some ways I feel like I've jumped out of a plane that, at the time being, seemed fine. From the outside it looked fine: it wasn't on fire, the engines were running okay, it was cruising at a regular altitude and there was still fuel left in the tank. The in-flight entertainment was tops along with great food, movies, and conversation - nothing to complain about. It felt nice to stay on autopilot, ignore the radar, and continue to enjoy the moment cruising along.

I love rollercoasters and those rides where you drop really fast and it feels like your stomach is up in your throat. The adrenaline rush is amazing. But this free fall is totally different. There's no rush of adrenaline, no desire to try it again, and no desire to get on a plane again for fear that it might explode in mid-air and send me falling again. This free fall seems to be going in slow motion and instead of my stomach being up in my throat it feels like my chest has been crushed along with my heart inside.



But as I fall I realize that in the end I'm not going to hit the ground with a splat. Someone is going to catch me. Once I've fallen far enough I know a hand will reach out and catch me and lift me up. When turn from my selfish ways and put my trust and hope in Him, my Creator and Redeemer, He will give me peace.

"He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak.
Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall;
but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength.
They will soar on wings like eagles;
They will run and not grow weary,
They will walk and not be faint."
- Isaiah 40:29-31 (NIV)

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home