Thursday, December 06, 2007

1st Year Officially Done!

I can't believe it's December already. The days seem to be blazing by at light speed and I'm left wondering where all my time has gone. My "summer" holidays are half over - yes, half over according to the pessimist within - and just when I'm starting to get settled back at home.

Last Friday I wrapped up my 4 week elective doing community pediatrics. I had originally wanted to split my time between doing something in a hospital setting and community setting but the University of Calgary school of Medicine made a big stink about not taking 1st year students for electives and the potential preceptors I contacted at the Alberta Children's Hospital insisted I had to go through the electives office. Thankfully, I was able to secure something at a pediatric clinic.

Like many things, I think it actually worked out for the best. It was just myself and my preceptor for basically the entire month and I had ample opportunity to ask questions, interact with children (and their parents), and get right to putting my clinical skills into practice. If I was at the Children's, I'd probably be one of many students/clerks/residents vying for attention and would have had much less patient contact. I definitely wouldn't have been able to develop a comfort with looking into ears, listening for heart sounds, and estimating testicular volume by palpation.

Looking ahead at the coming years, I'm not so sure I'm ready for the bumpy road ahead. There doesn't seem to be much to look forward to for the clinical years after talking to people about their experiences as a clerk. Who wouldn't be stoked to combine a full time day job with full times studies? Sounds like sooooooo much fun...

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Eric said...

Ya man, time flies so fast. Good to hear you had a good elective though.

As for the future, ya I dunno. Best of times, worst of times I guess. But hey, you made it this far already, I definitely think you can come out on top.

12:33 AM  
Blogger fortywinks32 said...


I am always searching online for tips that can benefit me. Thanks!

beds
bed
mattress
mattresses

5:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home