Sunday, August 12, 2007

Time Crisis

For any gamers out there, you've probably played or at least seen the game Time Crisis in the arcade. It's one of those shooting games with a pedal that you can step on to hide and reload. My roommates are playing Command & Conquer 3 and I am very tempted to install it on my laptop and play along with them. My hardware is definitely capable of playing most games. The thought of it brings back a lot of memories from the days when I used to play quite a few PC games.

I remember my very first computer. It was a 486 and ran on Windows 3.1. I don't even remember the specs on it but the first multiplayer game I got hooked on was Warcraft II. I used to play dial-up modem games with my good friend back home. We would connect via 28.8 kbps modems. I can just imaging telling my kids about dial-up modems and have them laugh about how "old" that 20th century technology was along with things like cassette players and VHS. I used to get into trouble because we only had one phone line and I'd be playing modem games when my parents were expecting a phone call.

From there I went through a Pentium 166 and a Pentium 450. I can't remember if I had another computer but my current desktop computer at home is over 4 years old and has an AMD Athlon XP 2800 512K Barton chip, 1 GB of of PC2700 DDR RAM, two Maxtor 80GB 7200 hard drives, and a Ti4200 8x AGP 128 MB vid card. It was my first true gaming rig and I remember picking out the parts and putting it together. Some games that I remember playing a lot are C&C Red Alert, Starcraft (especially on Battle.net), Day of Defeat (a WWII half-life mod), Warcraft III, the Unreal Tournament series, and the Rainbow Six series.

I thank the Lord that I never got into the MMORPGs like World of Warcraft because I'm certain it would have utterly ruined my life. I had already once reached a point where I was totally immersed into computer games and consumed so many hours of my life. I don't think there's anything wrong with playing video games (in fact, i think they help to develop manual dexterity and problem solving/multi-tasking skills) but with everything, moderation is the key. For me, I was not able to play in moderation and I would be fixated on trying to become the strongest player or have the best stats on the server. I'm usually not openly super competitive when I play sports or get involved into games but for some reason, computer games bring out the tiger within.

Often, I feel like I go through a bit of a time crisis myself. Time management is something that is always an issue for me and I have yet to completely master. I am so amazed by people I know who are so disciplined and organized that they can juggle full time studies, a part-time job, a girlfriend/boyfriend, a regular workout schedule, church, volunteering, and time to hang out with friends with the 24 hours they have each day. Sometimes I wish I had 30 hours a day to get things done but I know that would just be treating the symptoms and not the underlying disease. Even with 30 hours a day I would still have the same problem of fitting in all the things that I need to do and want to do.

It was both exciting and depressing looking at my calendar to find that I have just over 10 weeks left until I will be finished with classes for the year. Exciting because I get to go back home and depressing because it means that I need to basically start bringing study back right now. I started studying seriously about 5 weeks prior to my mid-year exam so it only makes sense that with double the material to cover, I should start at least 10 weeks ahead of time. This is ignoring the fact that I wasn't even close to being fully prepared for my last exam and it was a miracle that I didn't bomb the test. *sigh* Here we go again!

My favorite book of the bible is Psalms. I always find encouragement from the words of David and the other psalmists.

"In you, O Lord, I have taken refuge; let me never be put to shame. Rescue me and deliver me in your righteousness; turn your ear to me and save me. Be my rock of refuge, to which I can always go; give the command to save me, for you are my rock and my fortress."
- Psalm 71:1-3 (NIV)

"My soul finds rest in God alone; my salvation comes from him. He alone is my rock and my salvation; he is my fortress, I will never be shaken."
- Psalm 62:1-2 (NIV)

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home