Thursday, July 05, 2007

I <3 Vacation

The last month or so has absolutely blazed by at warp speed. It seems like only yesterday I was starting up my mid-year holidays. I had such an awesome time hanging out with old and new friends over the past couple of weeks.


Eric, Meera and I rented a car and drove out to Coolangatta for the weekend. First time driving on the wrong side of the road. It was actually not too bad as long as there was traffic to follow. We caught some beautiful sunrises, saw some dolphins swimming around some early morning surfers, took some surf lessons, and just relaxed on the beach. And to think that this was all done at the start of winter here in Queensland - absolutely mind boggling. I did manage to catch a few of my own waves but I have a long way to go before the Billabong Pro Competition.


Next up was a second visit to the Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary. I had been there one before with my dad way back in January and I must say that the koala's were a lot more feisty this time 'round. We watched a bunch of them playing/fighting each other, got to feed some more kangaroos, and got attacked by parakeets. Albert made his debut as a bird handler with an owl as his sidekick.


Last but definitely not least was the sailing trip to the Whitsunday Islands. Nine days + one catamaran (the Don Gato) + seven mates = one great trip. The sailing part was absolutely awesome and I learned the basics of tacking and jibing the jib. We started off with some pretty wet weather. The day we arrived it was the coldest it had ever been since they started keeping meteorological records about 150 years ago. But it worked out well because we had some great winds for sailing at the start. Near the end of our trip, the sun finally broke through the clouds and it was just gorgeous.


Highlights included snorkeling among the many corals and reefs; watching dolphins swim in Macona inlet; the great food; hiking up Whitsunday Peak; getting a gorgeous view of Whitehaven beach; and walking among sting rays along the beach.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home