Friday, April 06, 2007

No Ordinary Death

So right after some Evangelism on Campus, I was walking past the main refectory and saw a bunch of people from the Evangelical Students Society (ESS). They are one of the various Christian clubs on campus and would be the equivalent of the Intervarsity Christian Fellowship (IVCF) back home. They put on a short Easter service at 2pm right outside the Student's Union and were handing out booklets with the gospel of Mark and some info on why Easter is all about Christ. I really thought that they did a really good job at effectively presenting the gospel and I just wanted to recap some of what was said here.

They sang three songs that I absolutely love and know by heart: The Wonderful Cross, Worthy Is The Lamb, and Amazing Grace. I was surprised that I've actually committed four of the verses from Amazing Grace to memory because there was one Sunday a while back when I tried a Tree 63 version of it and practiced it over and over and over.

Then they started with a reading from Isaiah 52:13-53:12 (NIV). It's an old testament prophecy some 800 years prior to the first coming of Jesus Christ that was made complete with His death and resurrection.

"5 But he was pierced for our transgressions,
he was crushed for our iniquities;
the punishment that brought us peace was upon him,
and by his wounds we are healed.

6 We all, like sheep, have gone astray,
each of us has turned to his own way;
and the LORD has laid on him
the iniquity of us all.

10 Yet it was the LORD's will to crush him and cause him to suffer,
and though the LORD makes [f] his life a guilt offering,
he will see his offspring and prolong his days,
and the will of the LORD will prosper in his hand.

11 After the suffering of his soul,
he will see the light of life [g] and be satisfied [h] ;
by his knowledge [i] my righteous servant will justify many,
and he will bear their iniquities."

Then they read an account of Jesus' crucifixion from John 19 that contained the fulfillment of Isaiah's prophecy.

One of the chaplains here at UQ started to talk about how death is really the only certainty we have in life. The only variable is when and how. He then went on to talk about the significance of the death of Christ. He lived some 33 years and the gospels focus largely on a single week leading up to his death on a cross. Another key aspect was that Jesus predicted the exact timing and nature of his death.

Will I be remembered for my death 2000 years later (assuming Christ doesn't return before then)? Probably not. I always tell my friends that if they had to choose between attending my wedding or my funeral, I'd rather them be at my funeral. Not that I don't want them to celebrate with me when I get married...but honestly? I'm probably going to be so focused on making sure everything goes smoothly and when I'm not worrying about that I'll be basking in the beauty of my wife. But at my funeral, my hope is that those who know me will remember me as someone who sought to put God at the center of my life.

So once we realize the significance of the death of Jesus Christ, it then becomes necessary to understand how this ONE death WON life for you and I. Romans 5:18-19 states:

"Consequently, just as the result of one trespass was condemnation for all men, so also the result of one act of righteousness was justification that brings life for all men. For just as through the disobedience of the one man the many were made sinners, so also through the obedience of the one man the many will be made righteous."

Sure, sin entered the world through Adam but we've all sinned on our own since then. I like Ray Comfort's method of evangelism. He will start simply with the 10 commandments. Many people will know that it says that we shouldn't lie, steal or murder. Often people will admit to taking something small that wasn't theirs or telling a lie at some point in their life. If we hate someone we commit murder in our hearts. If someone claims to have never lied, stolen something, or had feelings of hate towards anybody - they're probably lying hahaha - they're almost certainly guilty of loving something more than God and thus guilty of breaking the first commandment of having no other gods.

After establishing this and pointing out that death is the result of sin, it's pretty clear that we all need salvation that comes from Christ's death and resurrection. I am reminded of the chorus to a a song by Robin Mark that is based on Romans 8 called "Behold the Son of God." The bad part about death isn't the actual death itself but the potential condemnation that we face afterwards - standing before God the almighty judge and being given a guilty sentence for all eternity. But once we put our trust and hope in God, there is no condemnation! Death is swallowed up in victory and loses it's sting (1 Cor 15:54-55)!

Behold the Son of God
Who dies upon the cross
Suffering my punishment
Sacrifice of grace
Though He dies
Yet shall He live forever

And here we stand oh God
As trophies of Your grace
Drawn from darkness into light
Of Your Spirit born
Though we die
Yet shall we live forever

There is no condemnation now for those
Who put their trust in You alone
We worship You oh Son of God
There is no separation from His love
No pow'r on earth or heights above
Can take us from You Son of God

Behold the Son of God
Who sits upon the throne
Over death victorious
Heaven's Prince of Peace
Though He died
Yet shall He live forever

And we shall stand O Lord
Before that throne of grace
Bought by Your redeeming love
Purchased by the blood
Though we die
Yet shall we live forever

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home