Friday, April 13, 2007

NHL Playoffs: Round Uno

I posted up my first round predictions on Facebook but I usually like to break down why I make my picks. The thought of missing out on all the playoff hockey action is a bit depressing. I caught a bit of the quadruple overtime game one between Dallas and Vancouver over internet radio. Since my beloved Colorado Avalanche have prematurely traded in their hockey sticks for golf clubs, I will now cheer for Calgary. They came out a bit flat against Detroit in the first game; but then again the Flames are a terrible road team. I think they should be able to win all the home games and take game 7. The West definitely is the best. I think almost all of the Western playoff teams could be matched up against any of the Eastern playoff teams and win. For the sake of consistency, I'll keep the same predictions I made earlier...

Eastern Conference

Buffalo Sabres (1) and the New York Islanders (8)

It was no surprise that the Sabres took the Presidents trophy this season. Anyone who has watched Buffalo play can see that they are a monster of a team. They have all the ingredients of a team that can crank out the 16 wins and hoist the Stanley Cup at the end of it all. Depth, speed, skill, goaltending - it's all there. Briere, Drury, Vanek, and Roy all have more than 30 goals. Plus, they have Afinogenov and Tim Connolly healthy again. The Islanders are going to have a tough time especially since DiPietro is not back yet. They've picked up Ryan Smyth (who I actually found out is a member of the Christian & Missionary Alliance from Wikipedia lol) but he's not going to be able to singlehandedly pull the Islanders into round 2.

Sabres in 6

New Jersey Devils (2) and the Tampa Bay Lightning (7)

I say this every year and I'll say it now - I dislike the New Jersey Devils with a passion verging on hate. It stems back to the days of the old NHL. They used the neutral zone trap and used it effectively to shut teams down. It was the most boring hockey to watch ever. That's why I love Colorado. They play a very entertaining, offensive based, style of hockey that makes it great to watch from a fan's perspective. If only they could mix it with some defense and consistent goaltending...anyway, I hope Tampa can knock off this boring team. Lecavalier, St. Louis, and Richards are all capable scorers. Dan Boyle was a great later addition to my fantasy team and can really work the power play from the point. The Devils have Brodeur and I have no idea who's playing in net for Tampa. That could be the x-factor.

Lightning for the upset in 7

Atlanta Thrashers (3) and the New York Rangers (6)

I'm not sure why I picked Atlanta over the Rangers. I've never been impressed with the Thrashers. The Rangers have added the uber-pest Sean Avery and the veteran Brendan Shanahan. I want to say Rangers in 7 but, like with multiple choice exams, i'll stick to my first guess. I do get goosebumps watching Atlanta's powerplay when it clicks.

Thrashers in 6

Ottawa Senators (4) and the Pittsburgh Penguins (5)

It's time for the Senators to step up in the playoffs. Heatley came up with another 50 goal season and together with Spezza and Alfie, form one of the most talented lines in the league. Emery appears to be solid in net for the Sens and they have a solid defensive corp in front of him. Crosby will most likely take the Hart trophy and Malkin will take the Calder, but no Stanley. The Sens should have no problem dispatching this inexperienced Penguins team.

Senators in 6

Western Conference

Detroit Red Wings (1) and the Calgary Flames (8)

Whether you like them or not, you have to respect the Red Wings. They are one of the most consistent teams every single season and always end up near the top of the standings. They also should be in the top being in a very weak division with Chicago, Columbus, and St. Louis. Signing Datsyuk to a 7-year contract was a smart move as he is one of the most talented forwards in the NHL. Calgary's scoring has definitely improved with the help of Tanguay and Huselius has seen a huge increase in point production. But Calgary is in a slump right now. They ended the season with a whimper and are dragging their feet into the playoffs. On paper, Detroit's blueline isn't as impressive as the Flames but they allowed the 3rd fewest goals against during the season (tied with SJ). If the Flames play to their potential and play the body, hopefully they can squeak by Detroit.

Flames in 7

Anaheim Ducks (2) and the Minnesota Wild (7)

At the beginning of the season, I predicted a Stanley Cup final with Anaheim and Buffalo. With Pronger or Niedermayer on the ice at all times and Minnesota's tough defensive play, this is going to be a very low scoring series. The new guy in net for Minnesota - Backstrom - has been quite impressive. The Wild have a lot of great players - Gaborik, Demitra, Rolston - that need to step up if they hope to stand a chance. Step up and stay healthy lol.

Ducks in 5

Vancouver Canucks (3) and the Dallas Stars (6)

How did the Canucks make it to the top of the NW? I totally didn't predict that. Grabbing Luongo = money well spent. Grabbing Theodore = worst investment ever. I'm not bitter at all... Dallas is a much better team and more well rounded. If Turco can avoid his playoff tendency to play like Dan Cloutier, the Stars should be able to dispatch of the Canucks no problem.

Stars in 6

San Jose Sharks (4) and the Nashville Predators (5)

This will be a great series to watch. These two teams have a lot of talent and it will be interesting to see who comes out on top. The Sharks are a big and that's going to help them go deep into the playoffs. Nashville picked up Peter Forsberg who is a game breaker. He can score, he can setup plays, and he plays physical - Foppa had double the hits of any player on either team in game 1 (8 of them). I think Nashville has a slight edge in goaltending with Vokoun but I think the Sharks are going to pull off the win with their very good power play and their physical play.

Sharks in 6

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home