Thursday, April 26, 2007

NHL Playoffs - Round Two

(imported from my Facebook note...)

Wow. Somebody please fire Jim Playfair? I didn't get a chance to watch any of the Flames/Wings games but judging from the stats, two things are certain: a) The Flames can't win on the road in the regular season and the playoffs b) They forgot how to play defense. I looked up the shots on net for both teams and it came out to 255 to 129 in favour of the Red Wings. That's an average of 42.5 shots on net per game allowed by the Flames. I was afraid that they'd drag their feet into the playoffs. I think Colorado would have put up a better fight.

So I was 4/8 for predicting teams and I think I only got the Ducks/Wild series correct for 5 games. Not too impressed with myself.

EAST

Buffalo Sabres (1) and the New York Rangers (6)

Like I said on my blog, Buffalo has speed, depth, skill, and goaltending on their side. Watching their transition game makes me drool. Buffalo won all four games of the season series (I think a couple in OT and one shootout). I really can't see the Sabres losing unless they gets hit by a sudden plague of injuries. Sorry Jagr, no dice this year.

Sabres in 6

New Jersey Devils (2) and the Ottawa Senators (4)

Well, the Sens are the only Canadian team left in the playoffs that actually deserves to be in the 2nd round based on how they played in the first round (not going to mention any names yet...). Alfie is definitely leading by example and the rest of the team is clicking. I can't stand the Devils but they are a solid team. If they can continue their scoring rampage, they will probably have a date with Buffalo. Five of their players are in the top 11 for points (Gomez, Rafalski, Elias, Parise, Gionta).

Ottawa in 7
(If I was betting money it would be Devils in 6)

WEST

Detroit Red Wings (1) and the San Jose Sharks (5)

I don't like the Red Wings but I respect their team. They play a consistent offensive and defensive game - a consistency that the Flames did not have. However, San Jose is a BIG team that's going to be hard to stop. If Nabokov can keep his GAA down, the Sharks will be advancing to the conference finals.

Sharks in 6

Anaheim Ducks (2) and the Vancouver Canucks (3)

Sorry to say this, but the Canucks don't deserve to be in the 2nd round. They were outplay by Dallas. That's okay because their success will be short lived. Everyone wants to watch a Ducks/Sharks conference finals anyway.

Ducks in 5

I miss hockey...

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home