Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Matt's New Aussie Vocabulary: Part One

1. Prac - instead of using "labs" they call them "pracs". It actually took me a few days to realize that my anatomy and microbiology pracs were really just labs.
2. How you going? - This sounded (and still sounds) so strange when I first heard it. I responded with, "huh? I'm not going anywhere." But what I thought was a localized case turned out to be quite widespread. A common greeting that they use along with "G'day". I'm more comfortable with "How are you?" or "How are you doing?"
3. Fly-bys - I got this a few times at the grocery store. Finally figured out that this is their version of Air Miles. For some reason I thought maybe they had to do with drive-bys...
4. EFTPOS - the Aussie version of debit.
5. Crisps - potato chips. I guess chips refer to fries. I wonder what fries refer to?
6. Full-on - hardcore or HC. HC for JC and HC for MD!
7. Barbies - instead of BBQ they simply refer to them as "barbies".

There's probably more but that's all that I remember at the moment. Cheers mate!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home