Monday, October 09, 2006

Give Thanks with a Greatful Heart

Thanksgiving hasn't always been celebrated on the same day in Canada throughout history. However, on the January 31, 1957 the Canadian parliament proclaimed...

"A Day of General Thanksgiving to Almighty God for the bountiful harvest with which Canada has been blessed ... to be observed on the 2nd Monday in October."

I wonder how many people give thanks to God for all the blessings He has given us at thanksgiving time? It was interesting asking my grade 5-6 sunday school class about what they were thankful for. Many of them could not (or would not) name a single thing. Sometimes I think I'm like these kids and I have trouble thinking of things to thank God for when in reality there are so many. Here's my top 5 list for 2006:

1. Thank You for the cross
(words taken from "Once Again" by Matt Redman)

Jesus Christ, I think upon Your sacrifice
You became nothing, poured out to death
Many times I've wondered at Your gift of life
And I'm in that place once again
I'm in that place once again

And once again I look upon the cross where You died
I'm humbled by Your mercy and I'm broken inside
Once again I thank You
Once again I pour out my life

Now You are exalted to the highest place
King of the heavens, where one day I'll bow
But for now I marvel at Your saving grace
And I'm full of praise once again
I'm full of praise once again

Thank You for the cross
Thank You for the cross
Thank You for the cross, my friend

2. Family

Although I often to see eye to eye on many issues, I am very grateful for my parents and all that they've done for me. They have provided the best for me my entire life and really have spoiled me. They have allowed me to stay at home while I continue to go at school and always look out for my well-being.

3. Church

This past year at my church has been an awesome experience and I am extremely grateful that God made the church merger possible. I'm thankful for all the new brothers and sisters in Christ that I have come to know and love and the opportunities to serve in varying capacities. I also like the fact that it's about a 5 minute drive from my house. I know God has great plans for my church and I'm excited to see what He does in the next year.

4. Friends

Yes, this may sound like a very cliche list of thankful items but it's true. I never tell them this and it might not show through my actions/inactions, but I value my friends a lot. At the start of this school year I have realized just how lonely I would be without them and if I had to make new friends with people in my classes. True friendship is hard to find these days and I am lucky to have found this.

5. Guitar Stuff

Okay, so here is somewhat of a unique thanksgiving item. This past year witnessed the creation of my electric guitar rig. Got my Legacy in February, Classic 30 in March and have put together a nice chain of effects since then.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home