Monday, August 07, 2006

Jammin'

As an astute young man that I know would say... "long weekends are super-awesome."

Half the time I don't even bother to find out why exactly I don't have school or have to work on this day. I often don't spend the extra time with my family on Family Day (in Feb) or show any sort of nationalism on Canada Day. Apparently today is an Alberta civic holiday called Heritage Day. Whoop-dee-doo.

Friday

I had the honour of seeing a friend get married. Weddings are such magical moments and I was just glad I could witness it. It's also an excuse to dress up all nice and unlike most guys, I actually like dressing up from time to time. I thought the master of ceremonies (also a guy i know) did an excellent job at keeping the reception on track for time and keeping it funny and entertaining. Other highlights were the drive out to Okotoks with the cabriolet top down and the tiramisu. Unfortunately, I got that "every sperm is sacred" song from Monty Python stuck in my head. Not the ideal way to end of the night.

Saturday

In typical Saturday fashion, I slept in a bit until around 1000 and then proceeded to get a few things done. Normally my family does laundry on the weekend and I fit mine in during the week sometime. But with my family out of town, Saturday morning was the ideal time to squeeze that in. I've realized that I probably do more laundry than anybody I know. Most of it is due to the way I was brought up by my family. I distinctly remembered my parents making me change my clothes every day after school. It was probably because I would play football or hockey at recess, rain or shine, and all my stuff would be filthy. I think I started doing it myself in high school because I didn't like the thought having my stuff being thrown into the same load as my mom's underwear (borderline OCD?) and I would wash everything after one wear.

It wasn't until probably sometime in university that I had the laundry conversation with someone and realized that it's probably not necessary to wash my clothes that much and that it probably wears them out faster. Even after modifying my habits a bit, I still find myself having minimally 2 full loads of laundry each week (one dark and one light) and quite often 3 full loads if I do a lot of physical activity that week.

Anyway, laundry and cleaning in the morning. Small gathering in the evening for some basketball, pool and settlers.

Sunday

For the second Sunday in a row I helped out with the children's service. A new summer arrangement has our english congregation split up into three seperate services - adults, youth, children. Now that I think about it, I should really catch a Saturday evening or Sunday evening service at a different church (First Alliance or Centre St perhaps?) to replace the teaching that I'm missing.

Last week we had a jam session on Saturday night at church. It was mainly just a time to make some music together but secondary goals were also to come up with some potential new songs or new arrangments to use in a praise and worship evening in September and for the Winter Conference in December. We tried out some stuff by Lincoln Brewster, David Crowder, Chris Tomlin and Hillsong United. You Are Good, originally written by Israel Houghton and also performed by Lincoln Brewster had this awesome riff that we played TO DEATH. They play it over and over a bunch in the song and sing "You are good, all the time, all the time, you are good" repeatedly. However, when we started getting into the song we just kept playing it over and over for like 15 minutes straight - guitars, bass, drums, keyboard all taking turns soloing. Then we tried On Our Side, a gospel-like song by Tomlin that had a simple A7 A/D progression for the whole song. And we ended up going crazy on that for like 10 min straight with Rob goin' nuts on the guitar busting out solo after solo.

So this Sunday afternoon, the same guys met up and we had another 3 hr jam session. No more crazy riffs but it was just as fun nonetheless.

Afterwards, we played some more settlers and mah-jongg (ultimate chinese gambling game). I finally won my first game of settlers with these people. Other highlights of the night was trying to do Gigli for pictionary (without having seen the movie) and playing sardines in the dark.

Monday

I woke up to the sounds of my phone ringing to realize it was 12:30pm. I was supposed to be at a surprise bday bbq at noon and I had slept in. To make things worse, I also said that I'd bring salad. I managed to make it there by 1:15. They had already started to eat but I wasn't too late to get the salad there. We ate some great food (smokies, steak, ribs) and played more settlers (i won again using orange! Orange is now my lucky colour) while watching V for Vendetta (i was too focused on the game at hand to figure out what was going on in the movie). The day was topped off with some floor hockey and more male bonding time in the evening.


So what did I have to give up? Well, I missed an opportunity to go waterskiing and tubing at the lake on a gorgeous weekend because i had to come into work everyday. I also missed an opportunity to fellowship with some old friends who were in town for wedding. But I remained concussion free and made the most of a long weekend in town and at home.

Next up...Labour Day...

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home