Saturday, July 15, 2006

Sermon Notes

So I like to jot down notes during sermons because it keeps me focused on what the speaker is saying and I can refer back to them later. I know my dad saves all of his church bulletins and files them away. I'm not sure if I care that much about them (often I throw them away if I don't have anything written on them or if there's nothing important) but I guess it has it's uses. For example, I was trying to remember when I got baptized and I knew it was some Sunday in December of 1999. Eventually, I asked my parents and my dad just checked his archive of church bulletins and low and behold, it was Dec 12, 1999.

July 2, 2006 - Guest Speaker: Rev. Larry Charter

I always love it when missionaries (or former missionaries) speak at churches. They have so many stories to share about how God has worked in their lives and they're always so gifted in presenting the message of God. Pastor Larry was no exception as he brought us a wonderful message from probably the most recognizable Psalm in the Bible...Psalm 23.

"The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not be in want.
He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters,
he restores my soul. He guides me in paths of righteousness for his name's sake.
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil,
for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.
You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies.
You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows.
Surely goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life,
and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever."
- Psalm 23 (NIV)

He pointed out six significant points that we can take from this psalm of David. The first is that God provides us with the rest that we need (verse 1). Back in Ivory Cost in West Africa, where he was a missionary for many years, he recalled seeing many shepherd boys attending to their sheep. They knew that if they didn't rest their sheep frequently, they would suffer from heat exhaustion/stroke and likely die in the sweltering heat of the Sahara. Likewise, God knows what we can handle and he provides us with the rest we need so that we can continue to do His good work.

The second is that God leads us by still waters where we can refresh ourselves (verse 2). Pastor Larry mentioned that sheep refuse to drink from fast moving waters. If they are taken to a fast flowing stream or river, they will refuse to drink regardless of how dehydrated they are because they are afraid of the current. God understands our fears and provides us with the refreshment and nourishment - spiritual and physical - we need.

The third is restoration and is related to healing/correction (verse 3). Pastor Larry told us an interesting story of how a shepherd boy disciplines his sheep. If a young one refuses to listen to the shepherd, wandering off and getting into trouble all the time, he will take one of its hind legs and break it. Then he will take a splint and set the broken leg to heal. From that point on, the shepherd boy will carry the lamb on his back wherever they go until the leg is healed. That way, he gets the lamb's attention (if someone broke my leg I'd pay attention too) and then shows his love for the lamb by carrying it around and keeping it close to him. I think God sometimes does the same for us.

The good shepherd also provides his sheep with protection (verse 4) and with refreshment/food (verse 5). In the same way, our heavenly father protects us from the forces of evil, both physical and spiritual, and provides us with our daily bread. Pastor Larry gave an interesting explanation for the "presence of my enemies" part but I have forgotten now and I didn't write it down.

The last point is that God provides us with contentment (verse 6). I guess this could be related to joy. If continue to follow in the footsteps that God lays before us, we can be assured that we will always have God's love and goodness.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home