Wednesday, April 19, 2006

NHL Playoff Preview

Round 1:

East

(1) Ottawa (52-21-9, 113 pts) vs.
(8) Tampa Bay (43-33-6, 92 pts)
Regular season series: Senators won 4-0

Well, I think the regular season series speaks for itself. Despite missing their top three defensemen (Chara, Redden, Phillips) for much of the latter part of the season they were able to capture top in the East. Now Havlat is back to play with Arnason (they traded for him largely to centre the second line with Havlat) and Hasek could be ready to play in the first round as well. TB is not the Stanley Cup team it used to be with underachieving scorers like Lecavelier and St. Louis. Atlanta would have made for a much more entertaining, high scoring series.

Sens in 5

(2) Carolina (52-22-8, 112 pts) vs.
(7) Montreal (42-31-9, 93 pts)
Regular season series: Hurricanes won 4-0

Totally love the Habs but I think they're going to have a big problem with the Hurricanes. For starters, I think they have an issue with starters. Aebischer has some playoff experience but hasn't played as well as Huet in the regular season. My guess is that they give Huet the go-ahead. I don't think their defense can handle the 3rd best offense in the league. Carolina has the talent to go the distance in these playoffs.

Canes in 6

(3) New Jersey (46-27-9, 101 pts) vs.
(6) NY Rangers (44-26-12, 100 pts)
Regular season series: Tied 4-4

I dislike the Devils with a passion verging on hate. I can't believe they actually took the Atlantic Division. Brodeur gives them the goaltending edge over the rookie Lundqvist. Rangers hold the scoring edge and have a much better power play and penalty kill. I like scoring and I love Jesus. Down with the Devils!

Rangers in 7

(4) Buffalo (52-24-6, 110 pts) vs.
(5) Philadelphia (45-26-11, 101 pts)
Regular season series: Sabres lead 3-1

This will be the series to watch in the East IMHO. Forsberg is back but I think Buffalo definitely has the offensive edge. They seem to be able to generate goals from all these guys i'd never heard of before this season. Afinogenov, Kotalik, Vanek? Ryan Miller gives Buffalo the goaltending edge over Esche. I think if Philly can stay healthy and plays at their full potential, they will take the series.

Flyers in 7

West

(1) Detroit (58-16-8, 124 pts) vs.
(8) Edmonton (41-28-13, 95 pts)
Regular season series: Tied 2-2

Not counting tonights loss to Nashville, the Wings went 17-0-3 in their last 20 games of the season. They are scary hockey machine and I'm just so thankful that Colorado didn't pull 8th place. I don't think the Oil stand a chance. Legace is much more reliable than Roloson. Datsyuk and Zetterberg are unstoppable it seems (both should be healthy and rdy to go). Detroit boasts the league's top powerplay, 3rd best penalty kill and the 2nd best overall offense behind Ottawa. Edmonton has just been too inconsistent but I think they'll give a good fight and pick up one win at home.

Wings in 5

(2) Dallas (53-23-6, 112 pts) vs.
(7) Colorado (43-30-9, 95 pts)
Regular season series: Stars lead 3-1

I'm worried about this series but I'm glad that the Avs are playing Dallas instead of Detroit or Calgary. Give some of the others teams a chance to soften them up first. I give Turco the edge over Theodore. But I like how Theodore has played in the last few games and I think he'll close that door despite a mediocre Avs defense in front of him. Colorado has the edge in special teams (PK: 6th vs 10th PP: 9th vs 20th) and an overall scoring edge. I think Theodore will be the x-factor. Just need to see some of that Kiprusoff action and the Avs should be able to pull through...
/biased pick

Avs in 7

(3) Calgary (46-25-11, 103 pts) vs.
(6) Anaheim (43-27-12, 98 pts)
Regular season series: Tied 2-2

The Kiprusoff Flames will take another run at that Cup. For 8 million dollars, Iginla hasn't produced much at all. Despite the 3rd worst offense in the league, they still manage to win games. If Kipper brings his A-game and the Flames defense keep the shots per game below 40, then they should have no problem dispatching the Ducks. If they can keep Selanne and Mcdonald at bay, they will have no problem. Anaheim will manage to win at home a couple times because the Flames are terrible on the road.

Flames in 6

(4) Nashville (49-25-8, 106 pts) vs.
(5) San Jose (44-27-11, 99 pts)
Regular season series: Tied 2-2

I bet if I had a chance to play on a line with Joe "MVP" Thornton, I could score 56 goals too. This high powered Sharks offense sporting the Maurice Richard and Art Ross trophy winners will take a big bit out of a Nashville team without Vokoun. Mason actually got a few shutouts in the last couple weeks but when I checked, I saw it was against St. Louis. In fact, as Danny pointed out to me, they probably wouldn't have even made the playoffs if they didn't play 24 games against St. Louis, Chicago and Columbus (Detroit probably wouldn't have that great of a record either). If Toskala can keep the pucks out of the net, the Sharks should make it to the next round no problemo.

Sharks in 5

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home