Thursday, April 06, 2006

Day 44: Manasseh

Amazing Love, How Can It Be?

2 Chronicles 33:1-20

- Manasseh became king over Judah at an even younger age than Uzziah (12 yrs) and reigned even longer (55 yrs).
- he was an evil king who rebuilt altars and idols that his father Hezekiah destroyed.
"He sacrificed his sons in the fire in the Valley of Ben Hinnom, practiced sorcery, divination and witchcraft, and consulted mediums and spiritists. He did much evil in the eyes of the LORD, provoking him to anger." verse 6
- the Lord even tried to talk to them but they refused to listen.
- God allowed the Assyrians to take him prisoner. Then Manasseh cried out to God and humbled himself greatly. The Lord was moved by his plea and brought him back from captivity on Babylon to Jerusalem.
- then he knew the Lord was God.
- he removed all the idols, altars and the detestable objects. He told the people of Judah to worship God and God alone.

Very interesting change of heart for Manasseh, but only after God brought great suffering upon him at the hands of the Assyrians. I cannot believe how compassionate and forgiving God was and is. Even though Israel, under Manasseh, was doing more evil than all the nations they had destroyed, God forgave him once he honestly repented. This kind of love is so far beyond my comprehension. There's no way I could forgive someone who wronged me to that degree. It gives me hope that God will accept me just as I am, as long as I humble myself before Him.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home