Sunday, April 02, 2006

Day 40: Jabez

1 Chronicles 4:9-10

- Jabez in Hebrew sounds similar to the word for pain.
- the bible calls him more honourable than his brothers.
- he cried out to God for blessing, for the enlargement of his territory, guidance, safekeeping and protection. God granted his request.


Today's reading is a short one compared to the previous few. It's funny because I've read the book The Prayer of Jabez many years ago and I even had the opportunity to hear the author Dr. Bruce Wilkinson speak in Edmonton a few months ago. I think in the book it said to write up 1 Chronicles 4:10 and stick it on your bedroom wall or somewhere as a constant reminder. In fact, I've had that verse stuck up on the wall next to my closet for many years now and I don't think I've taken a look at it in at least a year. It's a simple but powerful prayer that I think I could benefit from by taking a closer look at it.

It's interesting to see how God works in my life. Just in the last bible study meeting we discussed prayer and how to go about praying for specific things. Then in our coffee time discussion at church this morning, we again talked about prayer. Now prayer comes up again with Jabez. To be honest, my prayer life has been pretty stagnant. The idea of keeping a prayer journal came up and it sounds like a very cool tool to keep track of how God is answering my prayers. I've found an old little notebook that I think I'm going to start keeping track of everything I should pray for and then as I tick off answered prayers I can thank God for that. I'm not a big fan of keeping a daily journal of life events (although this blog is sorta like that) but I think this will be okay. It just might end up being that push that I need to start praying more often.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home