Friday, March 24, 2006

Day 32: Absalom

2 Samuel 15, 17, 18

- today's reading is pretty long so I'm not going to go into details.
- Absalom rises up and becomes quite popular among the Israelites. He lets this lust for power get to his head and decides that he will overthrow his father David and make himself king.
- because of his charisma, Absalom wins the hearts of many Israelites and so king David flees to avoid being killed by a coup d'etat.
- then it goes into long details about how David manages the people faithful to him and also how Absalom decides to attack David.
- in the end, it is David and his men that win and defeat the army of Israel. Absalom is killed even though David asked his men to spare his life. And after David hears about the death of his son who was out to kill him and take his throne, he weeps and wishes that he could have been killed instead.


Again, we see a deep fatherly love displayed by David. His son has forsaken him and yet he still loves him. Just like the prodigal son in the New Testament. God loves us in the same way as His children. Even though we turn our backs to him with sin, He still loves us and is ready to welcome us back if we turn from our sinful ways. It reminds me of a really cool song written by Brian Doerksen called Faithful Father.


Father I can't explain this kind of love, this kind of grace
I know, I still break your heart and yet you run to welcome me

(chorus)
This is my song of praise to you
For who you are and all that you do
from the moment my life began, you have been faithful

Father, I love the way you hold me close and say my name
I know, when my life is through my heart will find it's home in you

(chorus)
This is my song of praise to you
for who you are and all that you do
From the moment the world began
You have been faithful

(Repeat chorus)

You have been faithful, forever faithful...father

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home