Thursday, March 23, 2006

Day 31: Amnon

2 Samuel 13

- so it says that Amnon, son of David, fell in love with his brother Absalom's sister, Tamar who was quite beautiful. This sounds like incest...but I guess it could work if Tamar's father was not David. But then that doesn't make sense either because polygamy was only for multiple wives and not multiple husbands. So David must have been her father as well and this is incest :P
- so he came up with the plan to pretend to be sick and to have Tamar bring him some food. When they were alone, Amnon raped his sister Tamar even though she pleaded with him. She told him it was a wicked thing to do and that it would disgrace not only her but him as well. But he still did it.
- Absalom was pretty ticked off (I'd be too if someone raped my sister).
- two years later, Absalom invites the king's sons over and then he has Amnon killed. Absalom flees and the entire family, including David, weeps over Amnon.


Even though David was furious when he heard what Amnon did to Tamar, he still loved him as a son. I guess God gave Amnon what he deserved in the end for doing such a wicked thing but I don't know if Absalom was justified in murdering his brother. Lust is a sin and a very powerful temptation; especially for men. I need to always be on guard. I might not have to worry about falling in love with my sister but there are definitely temptations everywhere I look.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home