Saturday, March 18, 2006

Day 27: Samuel

1 Samuel 7:3-8:22, 12:1-25

- Samuel tells the Israelites they must turn from their wicked ways. They gather together and fasted. While doing so, they confessed their sins. I can't remember the last time I fasted...I think it must have been a few years ago when we were praying for healing for man at my church who had cancer. Definitely a powerful practice for sure that I should consider.
- the Lord delivered the Philistines into the hands of Israel that day under the leadership of Samuel. He "judged" Israel throughout his entire life.
- similar to Eli, Samuel's sons were also wicked so Israel asked for a king. What they didn't understand was that they had God as their leader and provider. But Israel wanted to be like other nations and have a king to rule over them. This upset God.
- Samuel warned them that if they were to have a king, he would rule over them and even if he was bad, they would have no choice but to live under him. So God granted them their wish.

- in chapter 12, Samuel gives a farewell speech. Just like Joshua, he reminded the Israelites of all the Lord had done for them: the deliverance from Egypt, the Philistines and the Ammonites. He tells them that they have sinned by asking for a king. But what's done is done. He urges them to refrain from worshipping idols and other gods.


I think I'm going to spend some time tonight to remind myself of how God has gotten me this far in life and out of some difficult times. How I continue to screw up and yet God is there to forgive me if only I ask. Is Jesus King over me?

King - Tree63

We have heard the thunder
We have seen the storm
Echoes of your kingdom coming
Rumors of our home
Where one day we will stand before you Lord
Our altogether beautiful reward

And we will give you glory bring you honor
King above all kings
You deserve our everything
We will lift our voices with your praises
Jesus you are our king

Though now we walk in darkness
Though now we see in part
Right now we're warmed by the burning flames
Of the fire in our hearts
You've promised you would lead us to your throne
Where we will worship you and you alone

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home