Saturday, March 18, 2006

Day 26: Eli

1 Samuel 2:27-4:22

- at the end of chapter 2, God tells Eli how disappointed He is with the way he has acted as a priest and how he has failed to discipline his sons. As a result, the line of priests will no longer come from his family line and his family will no longer be blessed by God.
- chapter 3 is where God calls out to Samuel and speaks to him about Eli's consequences. The bible is clear that the Lord was with Samuel as he grew up and he became a prophet of the Lord.
- the last part is about the death of Eli and his sons. The ark is captured by the Philistines because the Lord was no longer with the Israelites who were being led by sinful leaders such as Eli's sons, Hophni and Phinehas. Both of them die along with many thousands of men. Eli also passes away along with his daughter-in-law.


This wasn't a very uplifting passage to read. It definitely shows that sin has it's consequences. The Lord made a conditional promise to Eli that his house would minister as priests forever. But the condition was that they love the Lord. I think tonight before I sleep I'll really take a good hard examination of my own life and sin and make sure I humble myself before God in repentance. I never want to hit that point in life when I begin to treat God and His grace and love with contempt by being a slave to my sin.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home