Thursday, March 16, 2006

Day 25: Hannah

1 Samuel 1-2:21

- Hannah was barren and whenever it came time for Elkanah, her husband, to make sacrifices, he always gave her a double portion of meat because he loved her and because the Lord has closed her womb.
- but she was still very disheartened and cried out to God. If she was given a son, she would dedicate him to the service of the Lord. No razor would be used on his head and he would be set apart for God.
- Eli, the priest, encouraged her to go in peace and she did. She later gave birth to Samuel.
- after he was weaned, she gave up Samuel to the service of the Lord and left him in the house of the Lord in Shiloh under the care of Eli the priest.

- then Hannah praises God in a prayer. Two verses stuck out:

2 "There is no one holy [h] like the LORD;
there is no one besides you;
there is no Rock like our God.

10 those who oppose the LORD will be shattered.
He will thunder against them from heaven;
the LORD will judge the ends of the earth.
"He will give strength to his king
and exalt the horn of his anointed."

- the bible makes a clear distinction between Eli's wicked sons, who treated God's offerings with contempt and sinned greatly in His eyes, and Samuel. Samuel was an obedient child.
- Hannah, because of her willingness to give up her only son to God, was blessed with three more sons and two daughters.


If I had a son would I be able to give him up to be raised by someone else? Probably the toughest decision that a mother can make and God blessed Hannah for making it. Once again, this story shows how God is faithful and He will answer our prayers.

A few prayers have been answered of my own. I'm going to apply for a summer job with the Centre for Mouse Genomics but I also heard back from my boss that she'd be happy to have me back to help her with some clinical research. I'm not sure what I should do but at least I know I can go back to doing research for a 4th summer if nothing else develops.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home