Monday, March 06, 2006

Day 15: Miriam

Exodus 15:1-21

- verses 1-18 is a song sung by Moses, Miriam and the Israelites following the destruction of the Egyptian army and the crossing of the Red Sea.
- the one verse that stuck out was:

11 "Who among the gods is like you, O LORD ?
Who is like you—
majestic in holiness,
awesome in glory,
working wonders?

- Miriam is referred to as the prophetess. I did a quick search for other women in the bible who are called prophetesses and I turned up 5 along with one in Isaiah that did not give a name
Deborah, Huldah, Noadiah, Anna and Jezebel (false prophetess in Revelation).
- Miriam is Aaron's sister and since Aaron is Moses' brother, she must also be Moses' sister.
- she plays the tambourine.

It appears that Miriam is a quite a prominant female figure at the time. It is interesting that they burst out into songs of praise to God after they are delivered. I wonder how often I thank and praise God when good things happen to me...let along burst out into song. I wonder if anyone has written a song based on this passage...maybe I can write one :)

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home