Friday, February 17, 2006

Day 7: Sarah

Genesis 16:1-15, 18:1-15, 21:1-7

- originally known as Sarai
- unable to bare children so she had her maidservant Hagar sleep with her husband Abram.
- after becoming pregnant, Hagar despised Sarai so Sarai mistreated her
- Hagar fled but the Lord told her to go back and submit to Sarai.
- Her son was to be named Ishmael. I'm not sure why his hand was to be against everyone and why God would make him live in hostility...foreshadowing of the age old struggle between the Muslims and Jews (Ishmael and Issac).
- Sarah displayed unbelief (18:12) through her laughter when the Lord said she would have a son within a year and she even lied out of fear (18:15).
- later, Sarah gave birth to Isaac (which means "to laugh").

Nothing is impossible for God. This seems so trivial but it's something that I forget time and time again. I give up on things too easily and I don't leave room for God to work in my life. If I only do things that are possible on my own abilities, how will I ever see God's work? I think a big part of having faith like Abraham is to be willing to let God guide me into seemingly impossible situations and then just do my best and trust in Him. For example, my career aspirations and even how I spend my time. It almost seems impossible to realize my goal of medicine or to be able to be involved with the church as much I as I'd like to be. But I think if it's something God wants me to do, then He'll make it work out somehow and I just need to stop worrying and do my best.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home