Monday, February 13, 2006

Day 3: Cain and Abel

Genesis 4:1-18

- Abel kept flocks and Cain worked the soil
- Abel offered the Lord some fat portions from the firstborn of his flock while Cain offered fruit from his soil. However, God looked more favorably upon Able's offering than Cain's. It seems that Cain did not do what was right (v. 7). Maybe Abel gave God the best of what he had while Cain didn't not give God the best of his crop. It also probably has a lot to do with their attitude.
- Abel murdered by his brother Cain
- Cain even denies knowledge of murdering his brother when God asks him (v. 9). I think maybe the consequences may have been different if Cain repented. Not that he wouldn't have been punished but it might have been different.
- Cain is cursed and the ground will no longer produce crops for him.
- He will wander restlessly over the earth.
- God made sure that nobody would kill Cain. Who else were there? Would this be referring to his siblings (ie. other sons and daughters of Adam and Eve)? Or did God create more people after creating Adam and Eve?
- Cain left the presence of the Lord and lived in Nod, east of Eden, and raised his family there.

Application:

I guess sometimes I think I can hide my sin from God. That somehow he won't know what lies I've told or what evil I've done. But God knows everything. Also, God expects us to offer him our best. Back then it was in the form of sacrifices and burnt offerings. But I think this can parallel with our life's service to God. I should be offering my best to God at all times.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home